Multi Trades Training
Groundwork Apprenticeship (Level 2)
At Multi Trades Training we offer on-site groundworks apprenticeship level 2 training available in the South East and Midlands area of the United Kingdom.
Typical Duration to Gateway:
18 months (this does not include EPA period)
What You Will Learn
- Able to apply Health, safety, welfare and environmentally responsibilities to your work
- Have an awareness of environmental and health hazards e.g. asbestos & Japanese knotweed, how to identify contaminated ground conditions and the procedures for working safely.
- Understanding of the basic principles of Building Information Modelling (BIM), drawings, method statements, manufacturers’ information, work schedules and specifications
- Technology including key factors and systems of work appropriate to different work environments and industry sectors (e.g. civil engineering, private residential, commercial)
- Know the differences between new and traditional construction methods, the physical and environmental factors when taking on construction work and their potential impacts
- The techniques to handle and move loads manually and with mechanical aids including guiding the movement of articulated vehicles, plant and machinery. Safely manoeuvring by using hand signals, hand signalling equipment and verbal/electronic communication equipment, storing resources safely and securely
- Know the fundamentals on health and safety control equipment how, why and when they should be used when undertaking groundworks (e.g. personal protective equipment (PPE))
- The methods of working within confined spaces
- Erecting and dismantling access & working platforms
- Work area protection
- Locating and excavating to expose buried utility services
- Providing temporary works including excavation support
- The principles of internal or external drainage and ducting systems
- Measuring, marking, cutting and installing geo membranes to stabilise soil
- Gauging, mixing, compacting and finishing mortars and concrete by hand and by mixer
- Reinstating excavations and ground surface finishes including installing street ironworks
- Work safely and securely in compliance with given information and current health and safety legislation. This includes following the procedures for working in contaminated ground.
- Conform with productive working practices and completing the work in accordance with the programme of work
- Interpret and follow verbal and written work commands from supervisors and site managers
- Understand and use drawings and specifications
- Select the required resources including tools and fixtures
- Move, handle and store resources complying with relevant legislation & guidance
- Use and maintain power tools and equipment (e.g. compactor plates, boning rods, portable power tools, levels, straight edges, lines, pins and laser equipment)
- Gauge and mix mortars and concrete by hand and by mixer
- Select and use basic setting out equipment including tape measures, levels, straight edges, lines and pins, boning rods and laser equipment under guidance of the supervisor
- Install, maintain and remove temporary protection and safety instalments. relating to barriers and temporary structures, including protection, safety notices and safety lighting
- Install and test basic drainage and ducting
- Measure, mark, cut and install geo-membranes to stabilise soil for re-instatement and excavations
- Transport and place, then compact and finish concrete to slabs/bases, footing oversights, paths, form slab edgings including positioning reinforcement and kerbs
- Set out and lay flags, paviours and edging to paths, driveways and other areas
- Install ironworks relating to access covers and frames, gully grates and frames including preparatory brickwork
- Locate and excavate to expose buried utility services using electronic location instruments.
- Provide and remove temporary works including shallow excavation support (up to 1.2 metres)
- Form and reinstate excavations and surfaces to sub-grades, sub-bases and road bases,
- Prepare to, then direct and guide the movement of vehicles, plant or machinery
- Effective communication – oral, electronic, listening, body language, written and presentation.
- Customer service – developing relationships with your customers & building their confidence; meeting expectations and contribute to the development of an ongoing relationship with the organisation
- Respect – applying equality, diversity and inclusion in dealing with others.
- Team work – work coherently and safely with others under minimum supervision.
- Independent working – take ownership for safe completion of your own work.
- Logical thinking – using clear and valid reasoning when decision making to undertake the work instructions and when problem solving
- Working effectively – undertaking work in a reliable, safe and productive manner.
- Time management – use own time effectively to complete the work instructions to schedule and always arrive at, and be ready to work on time
- Adaptability – be adjustable to changes to the work instructions, be able to identify when advice may be needed and when to advise of the need to change work instructions.
- Risk Management – able to resist pressures to follow unsafe working practices
To qualify for this apprenticeship training you will need a level 1 in English and maths and take the test for level 2 for both prior to taking the end point assessment.
For individuals with an education, health and care plan or legacy statement the minimum requirement for the apprenticeship is a level 3 in English and maths. Sign language qualifications are an alternative to the English qualification.
How Our Groundworks Apprenticeship Works
- We deliver on-site construction trades training apprenticeships throughout the South East and Midlands
- You will not need to attend college when undertaking apprenticeship training with Multi Trades Training, How? all assessments are on-site with our mobile training workshop and online theory lessons, this saves the apprentice a days pay a week and the employer better staff availability
- Our training can be tailored to the company or individuals needs, we believe that this approach is the best for both individuals
- We can help you from start to finish e.g. writing a contract or sourcing funding. Our friendly and experienced team are always on hand to help you
What to Expect From Multi Trades Training
- New flexible and innovative apprenticeship delivery
- Deliver apprenticeships with the minimum amount of administration, form filling and fuss
- Support where and when you need it
- Electronic enrolment
- Electronic contracts
- Digital Apprenticeship Service manager
- The whole apprenticeship training can be completed from your place of work
Groundworks Apprenticeship Not What You’re Looking For?
We offer a range of on-site construction apprenticeships from carpentry, bricklaying, formwork, painting and decorating, groundwork, kitchen fitting, plastering, bench joinery, plant operating, fencing, cabinet making and interior systems whether you’re an employer or individual click here to view all of our apprenticeships.
We also offer fully online NVQs from bathroom and kitchen fitting, groundwork, painting and decorating, bench joinery 2 and 3, site supervisor, dry lining finishing, fixing and boarding, brickwork 2 and 3 and formwork.